Sunday 15 April 2012

Final Blog Post


Bidding for ES2007S bled me dry and I’ve declared my Program account bankrupt. However, I’m more than glad that I chose to take this module (also, since I’m graduating at the end of the semester, the idea of having zero points in my P account doesn’t seem so daunting).

I strongly commend NUS for the efforts taken to hone students’ soft skills. In Singapore, I feel that there’s a great deal of focus on technical knowledge, and too little focus on communication and people skills. In this day and age of faceless communication, the importance of these soft-skills seems to have been swept further under the rug. I feel that NUS should encourage more modules like ES2007S. Though it’s been a short 13 weeks, I think I’ve learnt a great deal in this module. From our skill-builders in the classroom, to working with our group-mates, and even trying our best to get rid of a particularly annoying blog-commenter, I feel that I have picked up important skills that I would otherwise not learn anywhere else. This module has not only been enriching and informative, but I actually looked forward to class every Monday and Thursday!

ES2007S has taught me a great number of skills—all of which I cannot possibly list here.  Probably the most important skill I’ve learned (or rather, fine-tuned) is that of oral presentation. I’ve always thought of myself as being someone who is able to speak comfortably in front of a crowd. I do feel butterflies in my tummy before speaking, but once I get through “Good morning, my name is Tanisha,” I usually calm down considerably and can get through the rest of the speech/presentation without a hitch. 

The last 12 weeks in ES2007S however, have made me realize that I have a whole lot to improve on when it comes to my presentation skills. First of all, I need to learn to relax, especially when it comes to ‘selling’ an idea or a proposal. I’m always under the impression that I need to look extremely emotionless and deadpan to bring across the notion that I’m a professional presenter. However, this has shown to be an ineffective way to bring across my message. Instead, I need to speak and behave naturally so as not to make my audience feel uncomfortable.

Another important skill I’ve learnt in ES2007S is that of team-work. Having been a member of quite a number of small groups in class (blog group, peer teaching group, research group etcetera), I feel that I’ve been made to work with people with different goals and ideals. This has made me realize and understand that not everyone shares my principles and I should not expect them too either. It is important to create an atmosphere of mutual trust, respect and reliability. I’m also glad that Brad shuffled us into different groups quite regularly. This is important as we not only get to meet and bond with different classmates; we also get to work with different people. This, I feel, represents a more realistic, workplace-like setting where we may get grouped with random strangers and be expected to work effectively with them. 

I would also like to make a quick note about our instructor, Brad. To be perfectly honest, I was a little apprehensive when I found out my teacher was going to be the module coordinator, Mr. Brad Blackstone. I had visions of a stern and serious tutor. Wow, was I wrong! Brad turned out to be the coolest teacher ever. (No, Brad, I’m not brown-nosing you!) What I like most about Brad is his ability to create a non-threatening, non-intimidating atmosphere in class. He takes each and every person’s comments seriously and I’ve never once heard him put down anyone’s ideas or comments, no matter how outlandish they may be.  Thank you, Brad, for being so patient and understanding towards all of us! I’m sure none of us will ever forget what a great time we had with you in class! 

I would also like to say a big ‘Thank you” to my classmates. All of you are really wonderful people and you’ve made this module very enjoyable indeed!

I can’t believe this is the final blog post for ES2007S. Life just seems to fly by so quickly!

15 comments:

  1. Hey Tanisha!

    I really thought that you're a very confident presenter since the start of this module! And you've never proved me wrong until I interviewed you LOL!

    I really like your attitude towards learning and I like how you express yourself honestly and openly in this class. My mother once told me "how much you learn from a class is how much you are willing to input" (she's an engineer too, we all talk like that - input & output. Anyway...). I think that the reason you found this class extremely rewarding was because you really came to class with an open heart and contribute with your input!

    I also appreciate the nonsensical jokes we share with each other in class! I honestly cannot believe how hilarious we were in that elevator test! Poor Xi Min had to really hush us up because we were having too much fun X_X

    Anyway, it's been really great knowing you! I think that you're a really awesome person and I encourage you to retain your attitude to learning!

    Sincerely
    Titus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Titus!

      Hahaha yes I have said it before and I will say it again, you scared the living daylights out of me during the mock interview! I only hope that my actual job interviews will go much smoother in the future (in fact I'm having one tomorrow afternoon, wish me luck!)

      Yes I agree with you and your mom about the importance of having good 'input', especially when 'investing' in education. I feel that you have also shown a great deal of genuine interest in the class! You're like the Energizer bunny of our class ^^

      It's been great knowing you too, Titus! All the best!! :)

      Tanisha

      Delete
    2. Hey there! I see my name, interracial couple T&T - Titus and Tanisha. I was so hoping that you guys would experience the elevator test too. Nevertheless, you guys gave me exposure to practical situations that may occur in elevators and set me thinking of how I should deal with them. For instance, how to politely hush a couple who appears to be excessively enjoying each other's company, Haha ;P. All the best for your finals and future endeavours!

      Delete
  2. btw I got this module for one point =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanisha,

    I think your post reflects the sentiments of most of us. Indeed, we have learnt a great deal about how to communicate effectively.

    I particularly like the point you raised about team work. You made me realize that Brad might have shuffled us into different groups for different assignments to prepare us for workplace-like settings. I initially thought that it was just to encourage interaction with different groups of people but I guess they are related.

    Anyhow, I am glad to have had you as my group mate for 2 out of 3 assignments. All the best for your future endeavors!

    ps: I wonder how come you got the module for 3883 points. I think I spent less than 100 points. But I guess it makes sense to enter NUS with no points and leave with no points too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joel

      Thank you for the comments :)

      Yes I think the teamwork portion of this module has been the most rewarding, yet most difficult at times! However I think this is something that many of us will encounter in the future!

      I got this module for 3883 points because I only decided to bid for it in round 1b. *facepalm*

      Thanks for being such a great group-mate Joel! All the best for your future endeavors too!

      Tanisha

      Delete
  4. Hi best friend,

    This module bled me dry as well, in terms of bidding points. But I still do not regret one bit because this has indeed like you said been an awesome module. I agree with you when you said that it was great that Brad shifted our groups frequently. It gave me the opportunity to mingle with almost everyone in the class.

    I also think that Brad had cleverly prepared mock interview sessions which prepare us very well for the not so rosy life at the workforce once we graduate. These activities have also been of the most help for me.

    I also second your comments about Brad! He is absolutely awesome. I am so glad I had a chance to be his student. As for you best friend, I will definitely be seeing more of you. But I still miss you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi best friend

      Yes, we're the two very intelligent people who decided to bid for the module in rounds 1b and 1c. We are now bankrupt.

      I'm so glad that we managed to get into the same class! I think Brad secretly made sure we were not in the same group for most of the group projects :P hahaha.

      Yes we will definitely see each other all the time, don't worry gladys!!!

      rauyoooo

      Delete
  5. Oh Tanisha, you do make me blush. So you discovered my secret: I'm not a "stern and serious" tutor?

    What can I say? The accolades are maybe over-the-top, but I truly appreciate your well-articulated, complete overview of the course and all the reasons why ES2007S was a pleasant learning experience for you. I especially like this bit:

    "I strongly commend NUS for the efforts taken to hone students’ soft skills. In Singapore, I feel that there’s a great deal of focus on technical knowledge, and too little focus on communication and people skills. In this day and age of faceless communication, the importance of these soft-skills seems to have been swept further under the rug. I feel that NUS should encourage more modules like ES2007S."

    Having just watched the development of you and your classmates over the course of 13 weeks, I feel that this is so true. You all come into ES2007S with so many strengths in your various academic subjects, but in areas like writing and presenting, and maybe even offering original ideas in front of others, you and the others can and do make strides. It's my luck to be in a position where I can facilitate that sort of learning.

    I have to thank you though in particular, Tanisha, for always being ready to support my questions and the questions of others with answers and insights, and you've always supported the gabbing of your classmates and tutor with a generous, engaging smile. You are the consummate active listener.

    With your positive energy and willingness to participate, you've also done a great job this term helping our class become a community of learners and not just 14 individuals. I really do appreciate that.

    All the best to you as you continue your path of discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad!

      Thank you for your kind comments! I really meant every word in my blog post :) I really am very grateful to have a teacher who's so willing to listen to ideas and not put them down simply because they seem unfeasible!

      I think much of the credit also goes to my lovely classmates! I think this class does have great chemistry. I have a feeling you're going to miss us, Brad! Hahaha :)

      Tanisha

      Delete
  6. Hello Tanisha!

    You're right! Just like you, I actually look forward to class every week! Like seriously, how often do you come across a lesson like that haha! Anyway, it's heartening to see that you have become a better presenter, as have I, throughout this ES2007S journey, not that you needed that much help anyway. Just like you, I also had a change in mindset pertaining to presentation skills.

    I honestly didn't like shuffling groups a lot, simply because I don't forge relationships so well. In hindsight thought, I agree that turbulence is precisely why I signed up for ES2007S- to acquaint myself with real corporate life.

    Thank you for you contributions made in class, Tanisha! Just like Brad, I like how you have always had a very tactful way of bringing across your own idea or disagreeing with other's opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ariele!

    Thank you for your comments! I can't believe the semester is over! :( No more ES2007s!

    I too have noticed that you've become more confident in your presentation skills, and I hope you'll continue to bloom as a presenter! :) You really have it in you. You speak well and you exude a very calm air about you!

    All the best for your exams! :) See you around.


    Tanisha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tanisha,

    "What I like most about Brad is his ability to create a non-threatening, non-intimidating atmosphere in class."

    That is Brad's niche, specializes in doing that and like you, I've come to agreed without reserve.


    "He takes each and every person’s comments seriously and I’ve never once heard him put down anyone’s ideas or comments, no matter how outlandish they may be. "

    Again that is Brad's niche, but I'm sure he does 'put down' ideas and comments but perhaps not in the way that deride. I get 'put down' by Brad in class, once or twice regarding some of my logic or ideas, and they made sense to me in hindsight. That was great for me to be 'put down' and I learned something there. If you say Brad doesn't do any 'putting down' in your class he must have had such a spell on you! Infatuation perhaps, just kidding...

    I'm glad you learn a couple of things oral presentation as well as teamwork, because I did as well, and almost every student ES2007s would from past, whether they admit it or not. Some did better than others, which is beautiful. Why? To find that different students are at different communication learning stages despite having done the same communication course says a lot about the complexity of human minds and their behaviors! Does that make sense Tanisha? Isn't that beautiful? You can say the same with rearing children in the school and home...

    Chief of all, I noticed, you decided the best point of your learning to be that you do not need to think you have to be emotionless or deadpan to show audiences your professionalism. I'd say that is generally true, but not too true, as always with anything and everything. There is a time and space for both deadpan and joviality, I leave that up to you explore and make sense of, so don't throw away all the deadpan!

    The thing I point out with learning is not be brainwashed. In the sense ES2007s is a kind of brainwash, and before you came into ES2007s you had been brainwash before as well. So it'd be with ES2007s, brainwashing the brainwashing! Does that make sense! What you knew or previously thought and believed about certain aspects of communication before ES2007s must never be completely thrown out the door, deadpan and emotionless professionalism must never get thought any less by you just because ES2007s came around the corner of the street, like your young admirer, and sweep you off your feet. Look at ES2007s in terms of the bigger picture---what is ES2007s and by extension communication part of?

    Is communication part of the sun? Then our communication between ourselves must in some way help the sun keep burning alive! Is that possible, does that make sense? Obviously not! Maybe in some alternate universe we would speak like that, but not on earth. So we try another posture---is communication part of caring or love? If it is, then our communication between ourselves must cause us to love each other ever more so, or anything likewise. If deadpan during some parts of your oral presentation can reasonably be considered lovable by your audiences, use it! If not giving eye contact for a pre-determined amount of time could possibly under special circumstances be considered lovable by your audiences, again, just do it! I hope all these make sense...


    At the end of the day, when we don't discuss your communication learning points, you still took away great friendships and memories with you, so much that you found the enjoyment cut short. To feel that way, Tanisha, is to have found the source of happiness, so best of luck afterwards in every job.


    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Engineering is dedicated to Engineers which has all the latest information you need to make informed decisions about your future. Read this great site for most valuable information.

    ReplyDelete